:: BïtS 'N' PiëCÉS ::

venerdì, agosto 20, 2004

:: from Clinton to the rest of the med fac ::

Here's something i would like to keep with me, and read when i feel discouraged or disappointed, and something to read when i become a doctor, to remind me what my aspirations were, when i first chose to study medicine. -- Li Qi

Dear friends,
Today officially marks the end of our first posting. I believe all of us would have had our fair share of experiences, both pleasant as well as unpleasant. I write this mail in the hope of encouraging the discouraged. I personally had a tough posting. I felt drained everyday both mentally and physically. On top of thatI found myself seriously lacking practical skills. I kept mixing PSMs and ESMs, missing murmurs, not feeling apex beats, not feeling peripheral pulses, cannot percuss properly ... any mistake or inadequacy you can think of, I probably had it. All this made me think ... Am I really cut out to be a doctor? I really wanted to give up ... All my inadequacies started making me feel I really din have wat it took to master the art of medicine. However, during a chat with my tutor she told me this, "Skills should be the least of your worries. You have a lifetime to master it. All the assessments you will go thru are merely signposts to tell you where you are now. Some of us will run faster than others but it doesn't matter because all of us will get there eventually so long as we keep at it." "The most important consideration should be whether you want to be a doctor. Whether you want to spend the rest of your life looking after sick people; whether you are willing work hard and sacrifice for your patients. You will doubt from time to time; when a patient dies on you, when you have long nights. But during these times if you believe that you want to look after sick people and bring comfort and hope to them then tell yourself with confidence that you are the right person for the job." I write this mail as I know that some of us are discouraged and I hope that knowing you are not alone in your struggles will bring some form of relief. In addition I hope by sharing my tutor's words with you, it will bring a renewed purpose into why on earth we're into this thing called medicine!
God bless, Clinton

Dopey @ 11:39 PM | 0 comments

about me


francesca chiu
2 eyebags & 5 wrinkles
on long-term dormicum drip
KIV IMH
icq: 58631104
more...
Español
EJournals

Free Counter
Cortislim

taggie


Epidemiology
SEER
IARC
Classification
WHO
AFIP
Staging
AJCC
UICC
Treatment
NCI
NCCN

links

Navigation
Emedicine
MuggerLand
"Survivor"
Blogarama
Blog Directory
Rice Bowl Journals
Technorati Profile

archives

aprile 2004
maggio 2004
giugno 2004
luglio 2004
agosto 2004
settembre 2004
ottobre 2004
novembre 2004
dicembre 2004
gennaio 2005
febbraio 2005
marzo 2005
aprile 2005
maggio 2005
giugno 2005
luglio 2005
agosto 2005
settembre 2005
ottobre 2005